The following will answer a question from Gin on how to paint the picture below:
The large trees are masked in using liquid masking fluid before any watercolor is placed on the paper. Then I painted in the following order:
1. The sky was put in down to the background foliage. The mountains were added on top of the sky at a later step.
2. The background foliage was added using the surgical gauze technique.
3. The background mountains and distant evergreens were added.
4. The snow shadows were floated in.
5. The masking was removed from the foreground trees and then they were painted.
6. Details were added last.