Saturday, May 22, 2010

Southern Summer

Southern Summer
Watercolor 11" x 15" Mats to 16" x 20"

My watercolor painting above, Southern Summer, is one of my favorites and is in my personal gallery.  This house and garden are typical of a Southern home complete with a white fence, garden gate, blooming flowers, a balcony above the door and a warm Southern welcome!

Watercolor Tip
The fence and gate as well as the balcony rails were masked in using liquid masking fluid.  Although this is time consuming (and I am an impatient painter) masking was well worth the time and effort in this painting.  The flowers and greenery were painted before the masking was removed.  After removing the masking a few flowers and greenery were sponged on top of the rails depicting those flowers growing through the fence. Although I used masking fluid for the rails,  narrow painter's tape could have been used as well. 

If you are often like me and eager to paint rather than mask and wait for it to dry, consider the finished painting.  Many times, masking is worth the effort. 

Happy Painting!

No comments: