Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why Paint?


Faceless China
Watercolor 9" x 12" Mats to 14" x 16"

Many times I have been asked this question:  "Why do you paint?"   There are many responses to that question. 
  • I enjoy it!
  • I like to express myself in pictures rather than words!
  • It is a relaxing way to spend time.
  • It is my hobby.
  • It is a stress reliever!    It calms the mind and the body.
  • Painting is a way to release creative energy.
  • Paintings can capture a moment in time.
  • Paintings can make a statement.
  • People paint for a living and a career.
  • People paint because they can!
  • Paintings is a way to learn something about themselves and the world around them.
All artists have their reasons; some that I have mentioned and other reasons of their own.

My watercolor above, Faceless China, was enjoyable to paint, but it also makes a statement about the many people in China.  Because this person's face was painted with minimal  detail and the clothing could be worn by either a male or a female, this person stands for every person in China and depicts a culture, a way of life. 

No matter what your reason is to paint - do it!

Happy Painting!
Karen

No comments: