Saturday, August 14, 2010

Poppy Splash!

Poppy Splash
Watercolor 11" x 15" Mats to 16" x 20"

The watercolor painting above, Poppy Splash, was painted using a fun technique.  The painting composition was not drawn on the paper before I started painting.  I wet the paper and flooded in the colors for the flowers and the foliage.  I tipped the drawing board while the paint was still very wet and allowed the colors to merge and blend and then allowed them to dry to see how they settled on the paper.   I drew my composition on top of the wash.  The shape of the flower does not have to take up the entire area of color.  This painting is intended as an abstraction and the colors of the flowers, greenery, etc. may be "outside" the lines of those shapes.  The extra paint will indicate a "blurred" flower or leaf in the background.    Paint was then applied on top of the initial wash and deepened in some areas and lifted in others. 

Try a different approach like this one and see how much fun it can be!

Happy Painting!
Karen

2 comments:

terricreates said...

So pretty and bright, very nice.

Ally Lifewithally said...

I wish I could just splash my paint brush and come up with a beautiful picture of poppies as you have done ~ I think Poppies are my favourite "Flower" ~ Ally x