Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome 2011 - Happy New Year!


Happy New Year!

New Year's Day is often a time to make resolutions for the coming year.  My cousin, Jim White (aka Tennessee Granddaddy) posted the following definition of a New Year's Resolution in his blog:

What is a New Year’s Resolution?   A resolution is nothing more than a promise to yourself to change something you do for the better.

If you plan to make a New Year's Resolution, think about that definition and consider my suggestion:

Be realistic in your goals. 

Would I like to be able to do a watercolor painting every day?  Of course, I would  --- I would definitely enjoy painting it.  BUT, is that a realistic goal?  Of course not!  So, I considered my present time commitments and decided a completed painting a month would be a realistic and attainable goal.    Does that mean I can't do more?  No, it simply means that I will fit into my schedule time to paint one watercolor per month. I will paint whenever I have the time, but set a goal to paint at least one per month!

The most important part of making resolutions regarding your art and setting realistic goals is to never let the goal become more important than the art!  When you lose enjoyment of your painting to attain a goal, you miss the point of what painting for enjoyment is all about.

Happy New Year and Happy Painting!
Karen

No comments: