I love Christmas and crafting, so what better time of the year to enjoy both! The simple nativity scene above is easy and inexpensive to craft for yourself and as gifts to share the "reason for the season!"
The photo above will show the basic design which is made out of the following supplies:
- 1" x 1" wood for the bodies of Joseph and Mary. Cut (1) 4 inches long for Joseph and (1) 3 inches long for Mary.
- 1/4" x 3/4" craft wood (2 inches long for Baby Jesus
- (2) inch ball knobs for Joseph's and Mary's heads
- (1) 1/2 inch diameter dowel cap for Baby Jesus's head
- Small piece of burlap approximatly 4" x 6" for Mary's shawl
- 18 - 24 inch piece of jute to wrap the figures together
- Wood glue to hold pieces together
- Paint (color of your choice). I used green for Joseph and burgundy red for Mary, flesh color for the heads, and burnt sienna for an antique wash
See photo below of supplies.
Assemble the pieces as illustrated below.
Glue figures together AFTER placing the shawl on Mary. Glue shawl on where the pieces meet in the front. The back part of the shawl is wrapped with the jute. Glue Baby Jesus in place.
Wrap with the jute and make any adjustments needed to the shawl.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ The Lord.