Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wind Power



Wind Power


Watercolor 11" x 15" Mats to 16" x 20"

My watercolor class focus this session is on landscape painting.  I think the students all agree that the most difficult part of landscape painting is selecting the subject to paint.   I'm not saying that executing the painting is not challenging, but that there are so many wonderful things to paint that getting started is one of the hardest parts!

Painting a sky in a landscape sets the tone for the painting.  In my painting above, Wind Power, I selected a stormy, cloud-filled sky to accent the power of the wind as well as give additional credence to the wind blown grasses/reed in the foreground.  My favorite part of this painting is the foreground.  The reeds, which emphasis the movement of the wind, are the first part of the painting to catch the eye.  The viewer is then drawn into the painting.

 
Landscape Painting Tip:
Give the foreground preference.  Draw the viewer's eye into the main focus of the landscape painting. 




No comments: