Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sam's Barn


Sam's Barn

Watercolor 11" x 15" Mats to 16" x 20"

The painting above, Sam's Barn, is typical of barns found in the Blue Ridge Mountains in the Eastern United States.   The season in this painting is early summer with wild flowers blooming in the foreground and bright green foliage on the trees. 

This barn is another example of a flat tin roof using the technique I discussed in my last blog.  This is a good example of the same type of roof only with different colors more suitable for an old barn.  I used additional burnt sienna and ultramarine on this barn roof  than on my cabin roof. 

Watercolor Tip
A fan brush was used to add the tall grasses in the foreground.  I have found a fan brush to be quite versatile and can be used for many applications from grasses to fur.  If you have not tried a fan brush yet, I would recommend giving one a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

karen, sam's barn is a beautiful work of art. WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER HELPED DAD BUILD BARNS AND EVEN HOUSES WITH ROUGH CUT OAK LUMBER AND BUILT WITH TIN ROOFS.

THAT WAS IN OKLAHOMA, LOTS OF OAK TREES IN EASTERN OKLAHOMA THEN.
THE FRESH CUT LUMBER ALLOWED NAILS TO BE DRIVEN FAIRLY EASY. NOT SO THO AFTER A FEW YEARS THE BOARDS BECAME VERY TUFF.


I BET YOU HAVE USED SOME OF THAT OLD BARN LUMBER FOR PICTURE FRAMES. IT TAKES A GOOD SHARP SAW TO CUT THAT OLD LUMBER. sam