Saturday, February 20, 2010

Shelter in the Pines

Shelter in the Pines

Watercolor 8.5" x 11"  Mats to 12" x 16"

I have been highlighting landscapes these last few weeks; but since so many areas have had large amounts of snow, I thought I would take a break and show this seasonal snowy painting.  I enjoy painting birds and have done at least one scene for each season of the year.

Birds are interesting subjects to paint and can be very detailed, if that is your style of painting.   However, some very realistic paintings can be executed with a minimal of detail, such as my painting above.  I don't detail every feather and let one's imagination fill in the blanks.

Watercolor Tip
The snow was achieved on the branches by using masking fluid to keep the background color off as well as the branch color.  I painted the entire painting before I removed the masking fluid.  When the masking fluid was removed, the snow was a nice contract with the brown branches as well as the background.  The painting was finished by spattering a little white paint on for snowflakes!

Perhaps, this will be the last of the snow and we can look forward to Spring!

2 comments:

Adventures in Art said...

Beautiful work. I really enjoy your tips.

Skip and Vicki said...

love the chicadees in the pines Karen, really great picture

Vicki