Sunday, March 10, 2013

Cable Grist Mill in Cades Cove


The photo above was taken last summer at the Cable Grist Mill in Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I enjoy painting old barns and buildings and I thought this might be a fun painting. I always take a camera with me or at least have my cell phone to snap a photo of anything that I might enjoy painting later.

When taking photos of subjects to paint, don't worry if the scene is not exactly the way you would like, or if there may be people in the painting. That's where you take control. As the artist, paint the picture the way you would like - with or without people, trees where you want one or exclude a tree that may be in the way.

The photo at the top of the blog was cropped to make it easier for me to paint exactly what I wanted to paint. I excluded the people in the doorway as well as a few tree limbs on the right side of the painting. I cropped the extra "landscape" around the mill because I wanted the focus to be on the mill itself.

Once you decided what to paint, lightly sketch the mill using little detail on the structure.

Next blog, we'll start painting - the background first! Until next time, enjoy sketching and get ready to paint.

Happy Painting!
Karen

No comments: