Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tis the Season!




Pears and Poms

Now that Thanksgiving is a memory, I can look forward to Christmas! When I saw a catalog filled with gifts of fruit, I thought I would paint some fruit as a way to get into the holiday spirit. Above is my painting, Pears and Poms, which was painted by inspiration from a Harry & David catalog! When one likes to paint, everything and anything can be an inspiration for another painting!

My favorite part of painting this watercolor was blending the paint on the pears and the pomegranates. Each fruit was painted first with clear water and then the colors were dropped in and allowed to blend. This is one of my favorite techniques and I don't think I have ever not been satisfied with the result. The water, the paint, and the paper have a "mind of their own" and create a unique blend of colors. The same technique was used on the pear leaves.

Hopefully, this will be first of many holiday season paintings! Remember as we jump into the hustle and bustle of the season - take a few minutes for yourself and paint! Tis the season!

No comments: