Sunday, March 4, 2012

Poppies

I usually work in watercolors, but enjoy other media as well. My sketch of the poppies highlighted in this blog will be done in acrylic. My choice for acrylics over watercolor is due to the placement of the finished painting. I am redecorating one of my baths and wanted a painting to be hung in an area near a shower. Since watercolor paintings and excessive moisture do not mix well, I selected acrylics due to the proximity of my shower.

I selected a 16 x 20 pre-stretched and medium weight canvas gesso primed for my painting which can be hung with or without a frame.

I am painting this one to suit the colors chosen for my decor and wanted brilliant shades of rust and orange with a aged brick background. I found a photo in a magazine that is close to what I wanted to paint. I will use that picture for shape and poppy size as well as shading. However, I will change the color to suit my decorating scheme.

I will paint my brick background first. My future blogs will provide a set by step guide to painting these poppies.

Are you thinking about decorating a room in your house? If so, consider doing your own art work. It's fun and will give you a great sense of accomplishment!

See you next time with the background in progress!

Happy painting!
Karen

No comments: