Sunday, March 25, 2012

Background - Step 2

The background on my painting has dried and I am ready to proceed to Step 2 of my background. I plan to apply a coat of paint over the tops of my brick tiles to give them a painted and worn look. Also, applying a lighter color background will make my poppies stand out better in the completed painting. I wanted my mortar to remain dark; therefore, I masked those areas to keep the lighter paint from that area. I used 1/4 inch artist masking tape to mask in this painting.

The photo above is an example of several sizes of artist masking tape. Below is a little additional information about artist masking.

In art, craft, and engineering, masking is the use of materials to protect areas from change, or to focus change on other areas. The term is derived from the word "mask", in the sense that it hides the face from view.

Masking materials supplement a painter's dexterity and choice of applicator to control where paint is laid. Examples include the use of a stencil or masking tape to protect areas which are not to be painted.

Solid masks
Most solid masks require an adhesive to hold the mask in place while work is performed. Some, such as masking tape and frisket, come with adhesive pre-applied. Some examples of solid masks are:

-Paper products
-Kraft paper
-Butcher paper
-Masking tape
-Plastic film
-Frisket
-Polyester tape
-Stencils

Liquid masks
Liquid masks are preferred where precision is needed; they prevent paint from seeping underneath, resulting in clean edges. Care must be taken to remove them without damaging the work underneath. Examples do liquid masks are:

-Latex or other polymers
-Molten wax
-Gesso, typically a substrate for painting, but can also be applied to achieve masking effects

If you have never used masking, give it a try. It is a very helpful tool for the artist. See you next week.

Happy Painting!

Karen

No comments: